Bachelor of Music (Jazz)
Admission requirements for the Bachelor of Music (Jazz):
(1) For admission to studies for the professional qualifications ”Bachelor of Music (Jazz)“ in the Jazz Institute Berlin, the following admission prerequisites must be fulfilled:
Exceptional artistic talent for the Bachelor of Music (Jazz) course.
(2) Foreign students are required to prove they have sufficient knowledge of the German language, minimum requirement by the application deadline is a certificate equivalent to the ”Zertifikat Deutsch“ (ZD) or completion of the A2 level.
requirement up to the matriculation date is a certificate equivalent to the Zentrale Mittelstufenprüfung (ZMP) or completion of the B2 level.
for information about exemptions, contact the Akademisches Auslandsamt (academic international office).
these requirements do not apply to international applicants with a German school qualification
for applicants from the PR China there is a special visa procedure. Please contact the Akademische Prüfstelle APS at the German embassy in Beijing. Further information and forms can be found at www.aps.org.cn
The entrance examinations are held for the winter semester only. Applications should be submitted between 01.03. and 15.03. of the current calendar year.
Additional information concerning the application procedure:
1. Application via CD:
The sound recording (preferably CD) should contain at least two titles from the general jazz repertoire. Please choose a recording which shows your qualities as an interpreter and your ability to improvise. Since studio quality is not required, you may use a live recording of a rehearsal or performance.
If you have recorded a composition of your own, it may also be submitted.
Please label the sound recording clearly with your name and a list of the music titles.
2. Selection of candidates for the entrance examinations:
One or more representatives of the entrance examination board for your instrument (or for voice) will hear all submitted recordings and select the most promising candidates.
Candidates selected in this way to take part in the entrance examinations will receive an official invitation with information about the date and time of the entrance examination, as well as a separate letter with recommendations for the entrance examination.
Candidates not admitted to the auditions will receive a formal letter giving the reasons for the rejection.
These candidates are entitled to a study guidance consultation with a representative of the Jazz Institute Berlin.
3. Candidates admitted to the entrance examination as a result of their recording will receive further information from the coordinator of the entrance examinations. The same applies in the case of passing or failing the examination.
4. According to the admission regulations, admission is only for the semester following the entrance examination.
The Link to the web-based application form can be found here at the beginning of the application period.
Studying as a guest is not an option in the Jazz Institute Berlin.
Peter Tenner is the advisor of studies for the Jazz-Institute Berlin.
His office hours during the semester are
Monday: 15.00 – 16.00, Room 109,
Tel.: +49 (0)30-31851356
Outside of semester times and office hours, questions can be directed to Mr. Tenner by email at:
see: written entrance examination in theory and ear training in the department: science, theory and media
go to the department: science, theory and media